Brothers of War YouTube Channel Brothers of War Twitch Channel Brothers of War Steam Group Facebook

•  
Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft buying Mojang!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Locutus

Locutus

Founder & CEO

• 39,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Microsoft on Monday confirmed that it will acquire the studio that created the hit "sandbox" game Minecraft for $2.5 billion, a move that could help bolster the company's Xbox and mobile ambitions.

Microsoft said the deal will close by the end of this year.

"Minecraft is more than a great game franchise," said Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. "It is an open-world platform, driven by a vibrant community we care deeply about, and rich with new opportunities for that community and for Microsoft."

Launched in 2009 for PCs, Minecraft is an open-world game where players roam a simple landscape with forests and beaches, breaking apart the environment and building new objects like a digital Lego set.

It has surged in popularity over the past five years. Microsoft says the game has topped 100 million downloads. Although it has been available on Apple's iOS devices for nearly three years, it is currently the second most popular paid app for iPhone. Retail versions of the video game for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were the third best-selling titles in the U.S. last month, according to NPD Group.

"The functionality in what you can actually build is off the charts," says FBR Capital Markets analyst Daniel Ives. The game has spawned the creation of incredible landscapes, including homages to Game of Thronesand The Hunger Games.

"The Minecraft players have taken the game and turned it into something that surpassed all of our expectations," Mojang CEO Carl Manneh said. "The acquisition by Microsoft brings a new chapter to the incredible story."

Microsoft says Minecraft will remain available on all current platforms, including PlayStation, a rival to the company's Xbox brand.

In a separate statement, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson revealed he will leave Mojang when the deal is complete.

"Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can't be responsible for something this big," said Persson. "In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it's belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change."

The Minecraft deal bolsters support from Nadella for the company's Xbox brand, which had been rumored as a potential sales piece. However, in a memo sent to employees in July, Nadella said the company will "continue to grow and innovate" the brand.

But the Minecraft deal stretches beyond games. Snagging one of the video game industry's hottest properties should help Microsoft grow its Windows Phone line, which sits a distant third from giants Apple iOS and Google Android.

"Minecraft strengthens Microsoft's hand in the battle with Google, Apple and Amazon," says IDC analyst Al Hilwa. "In the battle for mobile dominance or relevance, platform owners have to tussle with each other, trading and bartering mutual support for popular consumer services across their mobile platforms. Minecraft is a solid business with intense user loyalty."

SOURCE

post-1-0-23772300-1430426988.png
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Dr. Richard Feynman "I prefer a Dangerous Freedom to a Peaceful Slavery" - Thomas Jefferson

#2 Nozomi

Nozomi

Banned for life

• 300 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

wonder how bad this will ruin minecraft

#3 Master Teal'c

Master Teal'c

Shol'va

• 398 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

wonder how bad this will ruin minecraft

If Microsoft does ruin Minecraft everyone can go back to 1.8 & below. Microsoft can't touch anything 1.8 or below. They can only do 1.9 & up.

#4 Nozomi

Nozomi

Banned for life

• 300 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah but will mojangs installer still be available for those lower patches? or will they make it a bitch. sounds like i might want to multi install differnt patches 

#5 Master Teal'c

Master Teal'c

Shol'va

• 398 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Microsoft now officially owns Minecraft.

Minecraft now belongs to the House that Bill Gates built, punching trees into wood blocks into tools into processors into Windows.

Today's announcement is more or less a formality at this point; the acquisition was originally announced in mid-September for $2.5 billion (ironically, in 2012 Minecraft creator Notch joked he'd sell Mojang and "endorse your crap" for the then-ludicrous price of $2 billion).

But Minecraft is too important of a cultural phenomenon not to take a moment and acknowledge this momentous day. Here's everything you need to know:

Microsoft buying Minecraft isn't as crazy as it sounds

"If Microsoft plays it right, this could be a deal that works out well for everyone involved — maybe even including Minecraft fans."

Everyone loves Minecraft — especially parents

"My eight year-old son says: ‘If Apple wanted to get cooler they would buy Minecraft instead of Beats.'" It's basically the Lego of the future — hell, it's even the Lego of the present.

Notch isn't sticking around

Markus Persson, better known by his pseudonym Notch, is the creator of Minecraft and founder of its studio Mojang — and he's not going to Microsoft. "Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don't expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won't feel a responsibility to read them.... It's not about the money. It's about my sanity," he states in his goodbye letter. Notch cites this YouTube video about Phil Fish as inspiration for the decision.

Here's our interview with Notch from April 2013 (embedded above).

SOURCE

Edited by Master Teal'c, 06 November 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#6 Locutus

Locutus

Founder & CEO

• 39,583 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

There goes the neighborhood. :owned:

post-1-0-23772300-1430426988.png
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Dr. Richard Feynman "I prefer a Dangerous Freedom to a Peaceful Slavery" - Thomas Jefferson

#7 Nozomi

Nozomi

Banned for life

• 300 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:20 AM

rofl what the hell is this thing

the paper clip thats awesome this is exactly how i seen it going xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users