This secret recipe is comfort food gone wild and it's the perfect base for anything requiring spaghetti sauce, this even works wonders in any lasagna recipe. It takes some time to cook, but it's worth the effort, make a large batch and pressure can it so you always have a quart on hand! You will never buy sauce from the store again, eat your heart out Ragu!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 Hours
Servings: 6 Quarts
- Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (save 2 for garnish)
- Lightly oil a large saucepot, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
We like our spaghetti and lasagna with meat. I suggest browning 1lb each of hamburger and sweet Italian sausage. Drain excess fat and then add to the saucepot, then make the sauce.
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Grab some Jack's Meatballs and add them into the sauce for an excellent classical dish.
Spice it up!
If you like a little heat, add:
- 1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper