A quick and easy recipe for savory meatballs. These are delectable no matter what the dish is and easy to customize for other recipes such as sweet and sour or BBQ meatballs. No more bland and dry balls at the dinner table, and when it's cheaper than buying pre-cooked frozen balls of ice at the store, you can't go wrong.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Servings: Approx 20-30 meatballs, depending on size
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/4 cup fresh white bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Omit Parmesan if making balls for non-tomato recipes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Optional, only use in tomato based recipes)
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Olive oil
To make the meatballs, place the ground meats, bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, egg, and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl, mix well. Using your hands, form 2-inch meatballs.
- Pour some olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Brown the meatballs well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully with tongs or a spoon. Don't crowd the meatballs, cook in batches if necessary. Remove the meatballs to a plate covered with paper towels. If making spaghetti: add the meatballs to the sauce and continue simmering for another 30 minutes. Serve hot on cooked spaghetti and pass the grated Parmesan. For other recipes such as sweet and sour or BBQ meatballs, be sure you cook them to a medium temperature.